Pride and Prejudice Quotes from Novel to Film (Chapter 13)

Continuing from my previous posts (Chapters 1-11), skipping Chapter 12 because there's no conversation/dialogue going on. So, moving right on to Chapter 13, which was about the arrival of Mr. Collins, Mr. Bennet's distant (dreaded) cousin, at the Bennet family home in Longbourn.

Pride and Prejudice

Novel

"I HOPE my dear,'' said Mr. Bennet to his wife as they were at breakfast the next morning, "that you have ordered a good dinner to-day, because I have reason to expect an addition to our family party.''

After amusing himself some time with their curiosity, he thus explained. "About a month ago I received this letter, and about a fortnight ago I answered it, for I thought it a case of some delicacy, and requiring early attention. It is from my cousin, Mr. Collins, who, when I am dead, may turn you all out of this house as soon as he pleases.''

Mr. Collins was punctual to his time, and was received with great politeness by the whole family.

He was interrupted by a summons to dinner; and the girls smiled on each other. They were not the only objects of Mr. Collins's admiration. The hall, the dining-room, and all its furniture were examined and praised; and his commendation of every thing would have touched Mrs. Bennet's heart, but for the mortifying supposition of his viewing it all as his own future property. The dinner too, in its turn, was highly admired; and he begged to know to which of his fair cousins, the excellence of its cookery was owing. But here he was set right by Mrs. Bennet, who assured him with some asperity that they were very well able to keep a good cook, and that her daughters had nothing to do in the kitchen. He begged pardon for having displeased her. In a softened tone she declared herself not at all offended; but he continued to apologize for about a quarter of an hour.


Pride & Prejudice (2005)

Movie Script 
"I hope, my dear, you've ordered a good dinner today. I have reason to expect an addition to our family party." (Mr. Bennet)

"His name is Mr. Collins. He's the dreaded cousin." (Lizzie)

"Mr. Collins, at your service." (Mr. Collins)


"What a superbly featured room and what excellent boiled potatoes. Many years since I've had such an exemplary vegetable." (Mr. Collins)

"To which of my fair cousins should I compliment the excellence of the cooking?" (Mr. Collins)

"Mr. Collins, we are perfectly able to keep a cook." (Mrs. Bennet)

"Excellent. I'm very pleased the estate can afford such a living. I am honoured to have as my patroness, Lady Catherine de Bourgh. You've heard of her, I presume? My small rectory abuts her estate, Rosings Park, and she often condescends to drive by my humble dwelling in her little phaeton and ponies." (Mr. Collins)

Comments

Post a Comment

Please share your thoughts on this post here and more...

*You may Comment by using an Account, your Name, or by choosing Anonymous!*

Whatever you choose, I enjoy hearing from you! Thank you.

Popular posts from this blog

Happy Birthday Rosamund Pike!

Top 10 Favorite Pride & Prejudice Movie Quotes

P&P Movie Script